Reporting a crime

If you’ve been a victim of crime, you’ll need to decide whether or not to tell the police.

It's okay to feel unsure about this or worry about what will happen if you do. You might think that the police won’t care. Maybe you’ve had a bad experience with the police in the past. Or perhaps you’re worried that if you talk to the police, it will only make things worse.

If you decide to report to the police

There are positive reasons for reporting a crime. Remember that the police deal with all sorts of crime every day; they should treat everybody fairly and equally, and put your safety first.

If you report the crime, there’s more chance that the offender will be caught or brought to justice for what they’ve done. The police also keep records of all reported crime and this information goes into government statistics and reports. These can change the way crime is dealt with by the police and other parts of the criminal justice system. 

If you do decide to report a crime to the police then you’ll automatically be put in touch with My Safe Haven Victim Support Services. Remember that we’ll give you help and support whether you decide to involve the police or not. Find out how to contact us.

How to report a crime

You can report a crime in several ways:

  • If it’s an emergency and the crime is still taking place, call 911 and ask for the police.

  • If it’s not an emergency, do not call 911. This doesn’t mean the crime is not important – it just helps the police to make the best use of their resources. Many police stations have a non-emergency number, so you can call that number instead.

  • You can go to your local police station and report the crime there. You can find the address and telephone number in the local telephone directory or online. Check what time your local police station is open, as not all stations are open all the time.

Here to help, whether or not you report the crime

My Safe Haven Victim Support Services will help you whether you report the crime or not. Our service is confidential, and we won’t pass on information to the police without your consent unless we think someone is at serious risk of harm and needs urgent help.

Compensation for victims of violent crimes

If you've been a victim of violent crime, you could be entitled to compensation through Crime Victims Compensation Services. We can assist you in filling out those forms if needed. To make a claim you must have reported the crime to the police as soon as possible after the event. If you do not report a violent crime, you may not be able to get compensation.